Okra is also known as lady finger, gumbo or bhindi. It is a pod vegetable having green color and ridged cylindrical in shape with a mild flavor similar to eggplants. Okra belongs to mallow family lined up vertical double rows of white color seeds. People use it in its raw form, cooked, and in salads. Okra are famous for the large amount of soluble and insoluble fibers they contain. Also, they are rich in valuable vitamins and minerals, in this article we will discover all the health benefits of okra. It contains vitamins A, vitamin K, vitamin B6, vitamin C, folate, iron, calcium, lutein, zeaxanthin, starch, fat, ash, riboflavin, potassium, magnesium, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine, zinc, amino acids and dietary fiber. Its seeds also contains high amount of unsaturated fats like oleic acid similar to cashews, almonds, olive oil and avocados.
So check out the top 10 health benefits of eating okra as follows:
- It is very low in calories, no saturated fats, no cholesterol and rich source of dietary fiber, which is best for lowering the cholesterol and weight management.
- The high fiber contents in it, helps to neutralize the blood sugar level in diabetic patients by preventing the rate at which sugar is absorbed by the small intestine in to the blood stream.
- It contains vitamin B, essential for the production and maintenance of new cells, vitamin C is essential for fetal development. Vitamin A is necessary for maintaining healthy mucus membranes and skin. The combination of vitamin A and the powerful flavonoid anti-oxidants like beta carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin also helps to prevent from bight blindness and cataract. Vitamin K is necessary for healthy strong bones and also prevent from various types of cancer. It is also a co-factor for blood clotting enzymes.
- The presence of folate, which is beneficiary for optimal pregnancy, prevent from birth defects and essential for feeding or lactating mothers.
- During digestion bile is made up of cholesterol, which soaks up acids and toxins from the body. The pectin, the soluble fiber helps to bind the mucilaginous with toxin bile and erect them quickly out of the body. If this toxic material stay in the bowel long time cause to inflammation and develop bowel syndrome.
- It also helps to reduce the chance of colorectal cancer, heart attack, strokes and blood clots in veins.
- Okra contains glycosylated compounds, which gives the protection from the development of stomach ulcers caused by bacteria helicobacter pylori.
- Its juice has power to heal sore throat due to common cold and cough.
- The decoction of okra leaves helps to prevent from many urinary tract problems like painful urination, gonorrhea and syphilis.
- Its leaves and roots mixture if applying on wound can heal them naturally and fast. Its juice can also treat diarrhea with fever.
After writing all the top health benefits above, I think this is enough to start eating okra in your daily food consumption in any way provides many health benefits. So why becomes late, start eating okra to protect from the above and below said health conditions. It also prevents from many other diseases like headache, arthritis, lung inflammation, sore throat, asthma, and irritable bowel syndrome. Also it may help gastrointestinal system, constipation, prevent birth defects, boost stronger immune system, and beat summer heat. Okra is the best remedy for sun stroke treatment, reduce pimples and acne, used in making of probiotics. If you know more health benefits of okra, then please share your knowledge with us to serve others better.